About

Wednesday 31 May 2017

NOCTUIDAE and EREBIDAE

Since I am now using the later classification of EREBIDAE which came from the splitting of NOCTUIDAE I have made a list of the sub families that have had samples taken in  Australia.


Let me know if I have missed any Australian sub families.
Click on the picture to enlarge.
***********************************************************************************

Possibly Euproctis Poss galactopis LYMANTRIINAE EREBIDAE

 

Small white moths can be difficult to identify so there is plenty of room for error.

Family:- EREBIDAE
Sub Family:- LYMANTRIINAE
Genus:- Euproctis (Possibly )
Species:- galactopis (Possibly)




*********************************************************************************

LYMANTRIINAE Unknown 2863-5378

 Note the spurs, one long one short on the hind leg. The moth is missing a lot of scale.




 LYMANTRIINAE Unknown 2863-5378








**********************************************************************************

Fraus crocea HEPIALIDAE

EDIT:-  August 2018.

  I had this down as "LYMANTRIINAE  Unknown 1296-7837", but it turns out it is a HEPIALIDAE.

I will do an entry for it  Wednesday August 22 2018










**********************************************************************************

2 comments:

  1. I'm dreading revising my classifications...but I will conform, eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Nick
      Correct classifications are handy and scientifically of some importance, but I don't believe that they are necessarily so important that anyone should be discouraged from continuing their own private investigation into nature using the older classification. Before I publish a blog I type the genus and the species names in to google, both separately and together, plus cross referencing to other Taxa sites. The results although somewhat confusing show there are plenty of places to cross reference any of the older names and find the current name or visa versa.
      The important thing is to keep Mothing :)
      Don

      Delete